Life is good. A box full of chocolates in fact.
I have recently picked up a podcast habit to explore various topics including creativity. My favorite is the Tim Ferriss show.
He sends out a weekly email too and this idea is from his year end edition. Instead of doing New Year’s resolutions, he does a New Year Review.
How it works: Look back at the past year week-by-week to identify the people that I spent time with that had a positive or negative impact. And how will I get more time this year with the positive list and less time with the negative?
I did this and realized from a people perspective that there are very very very few people on my negative list. That I am already investing time with people I enjoy. Even when that’s work related. What a gift that is!
But I wanted to dig deeper and say of the time I invested with others, what was most valuable, rewarding and memorable? How will I do more of that in 2019 WITH people that I enjoy?
Here’s my list for “more of” in 2019:
- Explore new places (cities/restaurants here in MN). We have travel plans to New Orleans and Central Iowa (for a college swim meet) in the next 6 weeks. Omaha surprised me, surely I can find an interesting spot in Grinnell. Dinner reservations are already made for Nola and a few stop in for cocktails spots 😉. This family tradition has created an open minded sense of adventure.
- Learn new creative skills (I found out I love beading this year!) A food styling Photography class or refreshing my graphic design skills comes to mind to improve the blog. Doing artist dates with friends in 2018 was awesome! I want to take a limoncello making class (which sells out fast every year) or perhaps something for craft cocktails. Local distillery Copperwing has become a favorite.
- Get outside. Even in winter. Combining walks with new restaurants was a particular highlight this year. Summer days strolling by the creek and then stopping for a glass of rose on the patio, ahhh I miss July! The luminary Loppet ski race and beer garden is on my list (so long as it isn’t minus 5 like today) and watching to see where the Ice Art Shanty village lands. The summer options are endless.
- Bring together my favorite people to explore food. Perhaps a cooking club? I can think of some fantastic conversationalists that I would love to bring together over food. Gotta get organized for that, surely there’s an app that can help me.
- Continue learning and challenging how our family eats. I started exploring different ways to shop and cook, including local meal prep delivery, online grocery shopping and shopping more frequently. All in an effort to reduce food waste, eat more locally grown products and to save time. I have more exploring to do here to get us more efficient. Maybe a garden expansion or finding a new CSA.
- Share what I learn here 😊
It’s easy to get motivated to think about planning fun food related experiences with my “peeps” that will help me grow in 2019, and equally rewarding to share it here with my virtual friends. Would love to hear what you have on your “more of” list.
Chocolate cheers to an awesome 2019!