I’m trying to honor the idea of Meatless Monday, which is to say that one day of the week we don’t eat meat. It’s a philosophical notion for me mostly, as I realize growing up in the American Midwest, the “norm” is red meat and potatoes. I like to think of those foods as a splurge rather than everyday eating.
For growing boys looking to build muscle, that definitely requires some creativity to add in protein on those days. (Most of the time I don’t tell them we’re doing this and they don’t notice). 😉
Here’s a few tips to add meatless protein:
- Breakfast: Whole oat granola with seeds and nuts (flax, pepito, almonds, walnuts) over greek yogurt, which has nearly 2x the protein as regular. Or add ricotta cheese to your favorite boxed pancake mix. It makes them fluffier too!
- Lunch: Beans and old world grains. A favorite lately is farro with garbanzos, kale, olives and tomatoes in a greek vinaigrette. Even just adding beans to a pre-made pasta salad helps bulk it up.
- Snacks: Smoothies with protein powder or the old standby of apples and peanut butter.
- Dinner: This meatless dish always gets raves and is super fast for weeknight cooking:
Pineapple red curry
- 8oz can crushed pineapple
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp red curry paste, more or less depending on how spicy you like it
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsbp sugar
- Extra firm tofu, pressed to remove excess water, cubed. Or shrimp if you insist 😉
- Cilantro and coconut flakes for garnish
Sauté fresh pineapple and red pepper 2-3 minutes until softened. Add coconut milk, crushed pineapple, and curry paste, stir, add in sugar and fish sauce. Simmer 10 minutes until thickened. Sauté tofu cubes in 2tbsp oil until browned. Mix into curry. Garnish with coconut and cilantro. Serve over rice or rice noodles.